Rad Reading-December

(Cover of book)

For the month of December I read a book called Home Is Not a Country by: Safia Elhillo. This book is full of emotion. It is centered on a young Muslim American girl who struggles with being bullied. She constantly puts up with this behavior from many people, after moving from her homeland. She is always missing her homeland, this little girl is named Nima.

My favorite part about this book was the way Nima was able to overcome the bullying from the other students. This is a great book to read for middle schoolers. It is a good way to put a fictional story Meanwhile it lets people experience through her the different situations that people go through.

A quote from the book I found interesting was, “I want him to know I am not lonely, I have ghosts, I have my illnesses, I have a mouthful of half-languages, & blood thick with medications, doctors line up to hear my crooked heart”. To me, this means although she might be in pain she still wants to reassure her family and friends that she is still fighting.

My favorite character would have to be Nima’s mother. The reasoning behind this is because she has built up a stable life for her and her daughter, and will do anything to keep her daughter safe and educated. Although it can get tough she still pushes through for her family.